Monday, December 30, 2013

The "Word"



It's that time of year when some are choosing their "word" for the year.  A word that may define what they may want to achieve, aspire to, to accomplish, or live for.  Last year I chose the word "YES", yes to new adventures, new thoughts, new actions.  And I think I did a pretty darn good job of saying yes.
  • I said yes to planning a trip to Italy with a blogging buddy who at the time I had not even met.  Unfortunately due to my husband's condition and hospital stays, I didn't feel comfortable leaving the country.  But I did say yes.
  • I said yes to a Photography Workshop in Tennessee in the incredible Great Smoky Mtns, knowing absolutely no one, but now have beautiful memories of a time well spent.
  • I said yes to starting a Family Photography Business that is beginning to blossom.
  • I said yes to hosting the women from "Focusing On Life" the collaborative blog that I participate in at my home in August....all coming from Texas, New Jersey, Kentucky, Arizona, and Oklahoma which was an absolute glorious 3 days.  Some of us had never met, but life sisters we have become.
  • I said yes and participated in the Alzheimer's Walk in October raising money for research to conquer this terrible disease that has taken my husband from me along with millions more.   
There are more yes's yet to come and I want to hold on to that word for as long as possible.  I think saying yes to opportunities, adventures, and new acquaintances only enhances our lives so "yes" will remain.


However this year I am adding another "new word" to my life, "compelling."  My granddaughter-in-law (and she is a very intelligent and delightful young woman, I might add, see photo above for us together) used the word a couple of times in conversation yesterday.  I don't believe I have ever said that word "outloud ever.  But I liked how she used it, how it sounded, so I referred to Webster and this is how "compelling" is defined.

: very interesting
: able to capture and hold your attention
: capable of causing someone to believe or agree
: strong and forceful
: causing you to feel that you must do something

With synonyms being...
: conclusive, convincing, decisive, effective, persuasive, satisfying, strong & telling.

So this year I want to be conclusive and decisive, I want to be strong (not forceful), I want to be very interesting and capture your attention, satisfying & telling.  That's a big word to swallow, I may have bitten off more than I can chew.  But when you are on the downhill swing of life, this is not the time to shrink from challenges, live out-loud so someone said.  And that is what I hope to do in 2014.  Lead a compelling, live "out-loud" life.

Do you have a word for 2014?  If you do, I would love to hear, do tell.

It is time to say goodbye to 2013.  It was a year filled with many ups and a few downs for me, but as the year ends, I am content and filled with thanks.

"Wanting something is not enough.  You must hunger for it.  Your motivation must be absolutely compelling in order to overcome the obstacles that will invariably come your way."  ~  Les Brown

Until next time...

30 comments:

  1. you need not try hard to be compelling, deanna. you capture our attention all the time. bless you in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wear the word "compelling" quite well! I look forward to hearing more about how you lead a compelling life and say "Yes"!

    My word for the year is "adventure." It's not a word that I normally think of when I look at myself in the mirror, but I'm excited about it! I wrote about it on my blog today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how successful you were at "Yes". Bravo to you. I love your new word. I am so stealing Tina's word "Adventure" for me. We found a travel trailer today and we are going to put a deposit down on it on Friday when the dealership opens back up after the Holiday. We already have 6 trips planned. An adventure is out there! Have you see the movie Up. It is for kids, but I think you'd enjoy it. Or at least the part when they say "Adventure is out there!" Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job with "yes" and since I already find you compelling, know that you'll have great success with your goal for 2014. Happy New Year, Deanna!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great YES year you have had. My word (s) for last year were JOYFUL PERSEVERANCE, and I have just been reviewing my year in my journals and think that YES, I have done that. My word for this coming year is TRUST, which has come to me over and over this past few months, and I just knew it was going to be my word for this year.
    I love your new word, compelling, and think that you are already doing this, and can only imagine what will happen when you are doing it deliberately. LOL. YOU GO GIRL! WILL also be watching you for more of those yesses! and watching you LIVE OUT LOUD. Great attitude

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have a word, but I say "yes" to your "compelling" idea to "live out loud!" What a lovely photo of the pair of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely re-cap of your 'Yes' year, Deanna! I love your courage and spunk! I think your new word is very good - what a beautiful word, and a beautiful photo of the 'inspiration' with you! I've never thought of choosing a word to define my new year. That is a hard one. I think my word will be 'embrace'. I want to embrace whatever comes my way....Happy New Year and may the Angels send you many wonderful blessings. Hugs xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I must admit... I did need to check it from dictionary :D Good word to know and great word to live! Happy 2014 dear Deanna.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great word "compelling". Mine is "change" now that I have looked back on 2013 and know where changes need to be made. Have a wonderful 2014 Deanna xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like an excellent choice for you. Have a wonderful year and thank you for all that you share here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. fun times. i know at times it is tough to say "yes" ... do you think you will get the chance to go to Italy again? i sure hope so. big big hugs my friend. hope this coming year of 2014 will be a wonderful one & one of my more amazing shots!!! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great new word for 2014. You accomplished many things in 2013, all by saying YES. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...you write your posts in a grand manner Deanna and always a good read. I look forward to your compelling posts in 2014; it's just around the corner now. Best wishes...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't pick a word, but my life verse from scripture shares yours: "For Christ's love compels us, because we are convinced that one died for all, and therefore all died. And He died for all that those who live should no longer live for themselves but for him who died for them and was raised again." 2 Corinthians 5:14-15 I'm glad you reminded me of it at the start of a new year! Count me among those who think compelling is a good fit for you, Deanna!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy 2014 and best wishes to you in the new year, Deanna!
    Your thoughts and photography is very inspirational to me. I look forward to watching you grow in the year to come.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this idea of choosing a word for the year. I am actually doing this with my class this year! Although a snow storm may impact when we do it, ha!

    Cannot wait to see where your 2014 word takes you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your blog is like a magnet to me. I always want to see what you are up to and your images are awe-inspiring. I love your writing style and strive to be as good a writer as you. I wish you nothing but the best in 2014 and look forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Boy, all your yeses turned into blessings! I hope you have a very compelling, blessed, and healthy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great word. Love that you put your word into practice this year and I look forward to your "compelling" year! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A Wonderful word my friend. Love the photo of you with your Grand-daughter inlaw. Wishing you the best in the new year..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been fun, following along with all the things you said 'yes' to this year. And, since I'm already 'compelled' to read each post you make, I think you're well on your way for success with your new word. Looking forward to following along.

    Happy New Year! Only good things, for 2014.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A great choice of word Deanna, I'm unsure about my word this time. You have a fulfilling year with ups and downs, but you have come through with grace and bravery. Have a Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Have a Happy New Year Deanna- I had a word last year and the year before..this year I am just anticipating a brand new year, fresh and clean and ready for new photo ops. All of my inner demons (weight & character issues, etc) have been swept out the door. I am through with judging myself so harshly...
    and it feels wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great word, Deanna.
    Full of possibilities!
    I wish you a very Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. You lived "Yes" very well this year Deanna, and your word for the upcoming year is a great one too! Wishing you a wonder filled New Year my friend!! XO

    ReplyDelete
  26. My dear Deanna, you have a great head start. If you must do anything, it is simply to refine. Here's to a wonderful new year for each of us! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulous choice Deanna. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year Deanna looking forward to our get together later this month.

    ReplyDelete
  29. My word for 2014 is gratitude...and I start today with gratitude for the friendships that have come to my life just from blogging...including, of course, you!

    Happy New Year dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beyond.
    To reach above & beyond & travel further in my journey of this thing called life.
    To experience more than I would have before because I chose to step beyond my former boundaries.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.