Saturday, April 5, 2014

The 2nd Day....Doors and Windows

My friend, Jeanne, from Butterfly Tales was flying in from Dallas to join me on my 2nd day in Charleston, SC, but would not arrive until the afternoon.  I had all morning to plan and certainly did not want to waste a moment in this beautiful city.  I decided to sign up for a morning walk in the historic center of Charleston presented by the historical society.  Who better to know this city that one of the docents that took us on this early morning stroll through the cobbled streets of this fabled city.  As you can see by the images many of the trees were not in bloom yet.  They had experienced colder weather than normal like so many of us have this past winter.  And it was cold on this morning....30 degrees cold, so it felt good to see the sunshine.  Thank goodness I had been tracking the weather for about a week prior to my coming and packed warmer clothing, knowing that it wasn't predicted to be very warm during my stay.  I didn't want to make the same mistake I made when flying off to Phoenix with nothing but summer-time clothing only to be greeted by cool weather resulting in a shopping trip. This time I was prepared.

Eventho some of the trees were not in bloom, many of the window boxes and front porch pots were filled with beautiful flowers, something I am only dreaming of back home.

Shutters adorn almost every window....


Painted colors of blue, black & white, yellows, greens, reds, and pinks could be seen everywhere 





And the old brick, with moss growing between the cracks only add to the charm...








At the completion of the walk, I still had some time before Jeanne arrived and since it was lunch-time I decided to eat at the Mills House restaurant, an elegant hotel right across the street from the Historical Center.


After a delicious lunch where I had to try the She Crab Soup, a staple in this area, Jeanne called and said she was on her way to the hotel.  OK, time to get back to the car and return to the hotel....only I couldn't remember where I had parked the car.  I knew it wasn't far but for the life of me I couldn't remember the exact location.  After walking up and down Meeting Street for what seemed like a lifetime, and after asking several people about parking garages, I finally stopped by a young man that was selling trolley tours.  He pulled out a map and began asking me questions about what I had seen as I came out of the garage.  You talk about feeling really stupid...old lady, lost in the middle of historic Charleston seeking help in finding car...sounds like a "want ad".  Anyway the young man was sure it was "this" parking lot, circling the spot on the map.  Sure enough, stupid, lost old lady finally made it back to her rental car and returned to the hotel, while Jeanne had time to unpack and even take a nap.  I told you it seemed like a lifetime....needless to say she was a might worried, but all was well.  Then we headed off on another adventure.

"For an occurrence to become an adventure, it is necessary and sufficient for one to recount it."
Until next time.....


28 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventure. Your pictures are great and thanks for bringing me back to one of my favorite places. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! The shot of the red shutters through the tree branches, LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, bless you! must have been terrible - at least it was mid-day!

    loved all these photos. very beautiful city.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gasp! I just love doors and windows! Each unique and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful shots! Losing your car is the pits...lost mine once at the airport in a round parking garage. When I'd hit the car locator, it would echo round and round. Anyway, glad you got back to the hotel so you could start again! Waiting for the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aren't some of those houses amazing????
    I love the doors and windows you found.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks so beautiful! I love old doors and windows. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a gorgeous walk you took us on, Deanna! Each photo more beautiful than the last! I love the sherbet colors of some of the houses and of course, the beautiful windows and doors. The peach colored house with the blooming tree is my fave. I have 'misplaced' my car many times. Once, I was so relieved to 'find' it, only to have the key not work. Oh, I was beside myself, crying in the parking lot. When I finally came to my senses and looked around - there was my car a few spaces away. I was trying to open an identical one! And it is not an 'old lady' thing. I was 34! *grin*. Have fun with Jeanne - I hope you both have a wonderful time! xo Karen

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is so much architectural interest as well as plant life there. What a treat to see the surroundings. Glad you found your car!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, Deanna! I can believe it ... losing your car. It sounds absent-minded and to some extent it is but I will be the first to attest that it can be difficult keeping track of all those parking garages. Not only are they well-camouflaged, they all seem to look alike! And, yes ... doors and windows. I have up here in my study a framed poster of Windowboxes of Charleston. In our family room we have two lovely framed posters of Doors of Charleston. Oh, be still my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a gorgeous tour, so tranquil and peaceful these places seem. Beauty at every stop. Loved each one. Poo on loosing your car easy to do especially a rental.

    ReplyDelete
  12. :) I enjoyed reading your lapse of memory, finding your car --- because I know it's not 'only me' this happens to. Glad all worked out in the end and your photos of the historical walk are top-class. Glad you had the right clothing this trip too

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way you captured all these beautiful doors and windows! I'm glad you found someone who was able to help you find your car. Don't feel bad, I have trouble remembering where I parked my car in the multi-level garage that I park in at work each day... I've been known to wander around pressing the key on my remote hoping for that answering beep beep. It looks like you had a wonderful tour and a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would Love to visit there someday. You have capture this city so well. I just love all the character this old houses have. So glad you found your car. That definitely sounds like something I would do.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your photos are lovely and I can really assure you that I was really happy that you did find the car. Have to admit that we made a good team, and this was an experience that I will remember for a LONG time. Nothing better than the beauty in all of these doors and windows. And of course the alleys. Such a unique place and a wonderful place to share with a friend!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love those moon slivers on the shutters of your first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply beautiful entry ways and I'm with Kathy - love love love the moon slivers on the shutters in that first shot. If you have a smart phone (or frankly any phone with a camera - or your camera .... man, I'm a little slow to night .... anyway, I always snap a picture of where I've parked just incase I get disoriented.)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, Deanna, with every post I am more and more convinced that I MUST visit Charleston! You have captured it so beautifully! Your parking garage story reminded me of getting lost in Florence, Italy and I was all the more worried because I couldn't speak the language! Luckily my son who was off on a tour with a group was worried about me and came to find me. Glad you found a nice young man to help you too! So the question is: when are we going to Charleston?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely photos. There certainly are a lot of beautiful homes in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I sometimes can't even remember where I park my car in the grocery store parking lot, let alone to wander around a city... ;) What an absolutely beautiful place that you captured so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You do have the most amazing adventure Deanna. Loved all those old homes with the colorful doors/windows. The Peach Colored one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your adventures and the photos you bring back to share. These are beautiful and charming

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful photos, and it just looks warmer there too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What beautiful photos of a gorgeous city! I have never been to Charleston but it is on my Bucket List! Love that coral colored house. I am your newest follower.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great shots from your tour...your blog disappeared from my feed so I came looking for you- hope you are having a ball!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a gorgeous place with so much colour even though the winter had taken its toll. I can relate to you with losing the car, I have done the same and was looking in the totally wrong car park for mine for about an hour! Keeps the mind focussed!! Have a wonderful weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Would you believe I've never been to Charleston? Now that you visited the city, you must read The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd - it's set in Charleston. PS Bet your adrenalin was flowing when you "lost" the car!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.