Monday, January 12, 2015

Days....

I actually wrote a post last week, but because I had absolutely no images I never published the post and old news is stale news. No one wants to read that Christmas remains upstairs when it should be all packed and stored downstairs.  We were even midly stranded last week with the frigid temps and snow.  The kiddos around here were off of school both Wednesday & Thursday, but Friday which had the absolute worst wind-chill of all the days prior, that's when the "powers that be" decided to send them back to school.  Go figure.  I met my girls for lunch on Friday, I about froze my whats-it off just walking from the parking lot to the restaurant entrance. And that was with my big fake furry coat that only comes out of the closet on the coldest of days. This week has started out in the balmy 20's, with predictions of a warm-up (30's) by week's end.  Spring might be just around the corner.

And speaking of Spring, yes the tulips are in full bloom at Trader Joe's standing in wait for us that are starving for color after the brilliant colors of Christmas are sadly gone for another year.


It was a whooping 9 degrees last Wednesday and believe it or not I took a drive over to the Arboretum to see what beauty awaited me.  I will admit that most of my shots were from the car window, I didn't spend a whole lot of time outside of my warm car (with heated seats).  At least with the extra chilly weather there was some sun with the blue sky peeping through.  And drats because of the cold our brand new Bible Study was cancelled along with our "Downton Abbey" lunch.  We "Downton" groupies gather for lunch to discuss the "what-if's and the maybe's" along with the fashions and the newest love interests.  But not to fear, both Bible Study and our luncheon has been re-scheduled for this Wednesday.




I called my friend Bonnie last week and asked her out on a date....my calendar had been pretty empty since I was so sick during the holidays and I was ready to break out and do something fun. We decided to go to a movie and dinner after.  After narrowing it down, we finally decided to see "The Imitation Game" the true story of Alan Turing and his brilliant breaking of the German coding system during World War II which in turn shortened the war due to his discovery.  Brilliance always seems to come at a price.  Benedict Cumberbatch is superb in his portrayal of Turing and I was disappointed at the Golden Globes last night when he did not win "best actor".  But then I haven't seen Eddie Redmayne in "The Theory of Everything" where he portrays Stephen Hawking who did win.

I finished reading "Tell the Wolves I'm Home" a coming of age, discovery book which we will discuss Thursday at book-club.  I thought it was ho-hum, so I will be interested in hearing the feedback from my fellow members.  Their insights might change my mind, which has happened before.  Also about half-way through "Bellweather Rhapsody which has a group of characters that are a delight.  A little romance, a little comedy, a little mystery, fine reading. Next up...."Orange Is The New Black", a book-club choice.  Little hesitant but I have heard the book is better than the series...oy!!  

Hope your week is filled with joy, peace and harmony.

"The doors we open and close each day decide the lives we live."  ~Flora Whittemore

Until next time....


19 comments:

  1. What pretty snowy scenes! I love how flowers begin to appear mid-winter in the markets, a promise of warmth!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a cold snap last week but nothing as grim as yours. And no snow here. I am glad you managed to get out rather than letting the weather defeat you. Your arboretum pictures are wonderful but I particularly like the focus in the fence photo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the lat shots is stunning, in fact I really love all the snow scenes and the close up of the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've only had a skiff of snow and that was just before Thanksgiving, several weeks of quite cold weather in the teens, 20s and 30s, but now back to normal NW weather in the mid 40s during the days and mid 30s at night.... you're jaunt to the arboretum looked fun...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy you were able to catch some snowy photos . . . because I enjoy YOUR feel, view, touch.
    I was not disappointed . . . I really like the fence posts and walkers in the distance . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. beautiful wintry scenes, but it's awfully hard to get outside when it is SO bitter cold! glad a warm-up is in your future. ours, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Deanna, I'm loving your frigid scenes. It warmed into the high 30's in Breckenridge last week. Of course, then we worry about snow melting on the ski mountain! I loved Tell the Wolves I'm Home, but sometimes I like quirky books. Hope you're feeling tip top in the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am envious of your wintery view from the car - mine is blah, brown, weedy. But I also am not interested in any more single digit temp days or any of the white stuff so I'll settle for what I have. I am glad you have been able to get and about, I think sometimes that can make all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was a balmy 27 when I left this morning at 6am - but was 10F when I got home from school at 3:30 & had to shovel. Go figure.
    That black & white shot of the HUGE tree, is amazing!
    Have a great week my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope it does warm up soon and I want some SUNSHINE! It's been so dreary here.
    That last shot is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Deanna, your black and white is exquisite!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your photos! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Obviously, you have been battling cold winter weather but your outing certainly paid off in some beautiful shots. I love the one with the blue sky. Stay warm....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Orange is the new black...interesting choice for a book club. It would never fly in my group. Love that shot of the fence post and the people walking with the dog in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love all the snow scenes! Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your shots Deanna, and your snowy scenes are lovely, but make me feel cold just looking at them. Hope you are completely over your holiday illness. Love your tulips and am really ready for spring to come when I see them. Hugs t o you and hope that you are having a great time with all of your activities. Be sure to read the Invention Of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd. Setting in Charleston. Great book

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love your winter pics- hope the sun comes out soon, with a nice warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how I have lusted after my hubby's heated seats. The only thing my car is lacking. :( I found Tell The Wolves I'm Home kind of blah. I was expecting so much more, at least for the ending. Your Downton club sounds like fun! Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have a crush on that B&W shot!!! Wow.
    When you go out driving to take some "shots", do you go alone? Just wondering.
    stay toasty
    diane @ thoughts & shots

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.