Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Whose Winning the Population Battle??


I am not sure who is winning the population battle in my backyard between the robins and the sparrows. The sparrows are like little piggies at the bird-feeder and the robins love splashing in the bird baths which in turn drives me to continually fill the feeder with birdseed and add the water for bathing.  There was a time when I didn't feed the birds in the summertime, I felt that there was plenty of rations in nature that it wasn't necessary. I still believe that, but now I do it for purely selfish reasons, I enjoy watching the birds.  If it wasn't for the feeders my porch sitting entertainment would totally diminish. Between the regular feeder, the finch sock, and the hummingbird feeder I have continuous delight throughout the day.

Today was B&N day and we had quite a group, counting from memory (which varies from time to time) I think we had nine today. I love it when so many come to visit. The only down-side is that when there are that many, there will be different conversations at different ends of the table. I want to hear it all, but it's just not possible. It's our connection time which now that Bailey is gone, I really need.

After B&N, I decided to grab a bite to eat and take a stroll down by the Riverwalk, with camera in hand.

I honestly don't know if this is a grass of some sort or a weed, but I love the feather like branching.


The orange day-lilies were in bloom.  I do love day-lilies, they have hyberdized them so that you can plant just about any color you want from the traditional orange, to yellows, to pinks, purples, reds and whites. I planted a new one this year, right now it is full of buds. I am anxiously awaiting that first one to pop to actually see the true color.


And these sweet little daisy-like flowers that I honestly think are some type of weedy wildflower. No matter weed or wildflower, it's a charmer.


The front gate arbor is covered with this lovely Etoile Violette clemantis. I planted this many years ago when the trees were just saplings. Now they are covered in shade for most of the day, but they still manage to bloom their little hearts out for a short while.


It's been hot, but we had a good rain yesterday and last night so the grass and garden are happy, which makes me happy.  Toby, on the other hand, was not happy. He does NOT like rain, nor thunder, nor lightening. I guess Mother Nature can't please everyone.

Tomorrow I will share a sweet surprise!

"Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one."  ~  Dr. Seuss

Until next time......


8 comments:

  1. You brighten my day!! Thank you. Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that little daisy is a Fleabane - it grows wild in the forests here at altitude. I saw on the weather map that you got rain. Send some to me, please. I can't feed the birds because of bears, but our little Mama Junco is still incubating on her nest in our wreath and providing us with daily excitement. Love all the photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Watching the antics of all those birds must be wonderful entertainment and even good company! I get good birdsong here in the early mornings and at dusk. I just love it because it lightens the fact that I'm a town dweller. The sparrows here are very cheeky and scared of nothing. I have to clap my hands to keep them away from my ripening strawberries!
    Your clematis is beautiful and I love the way you've framed the photo with the arch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your flower images are wonderful and I am looking forward to the suprise tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw on the news how hot it is by you! Stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mr Robin brought me cheer . . .
    Hearty looking boy he is . . .
    Great photo capture . . .
    Loving the weather mixtures of cool, steamy, rainy, and repeat . . .
    Thunder is not a friend in our house either . . .
    Looking forward to hearing your surprise . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Always love your photos, Deanna. You really capture the essence of beauty! I know it must be hard to have Bailey gone. Young people bring so much energy and joy to life. I miss that. Take care today. x Karen

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have always loved clematis and yours is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and cherish them all. I will do my best to return the favor.